Crash bug

In-game bugs and crashes - They will appear! Post them here for swift destruction!

Crash bug

Postby Zarat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:12 am

The game won't start if Visual Studio 2010 is running in the background (hey I'm a programmer too :D) Instead it's crashing (windows standard error reporting dialog).

Note that prior to the crash I just had VS running in background with an unrelated project of mine, I didn't attach the debugger to the game or anything.

I don't mind closing VS but it would be nice if you gave an error message instead of crashing ;)

Since it's the standard windows error dialog it allowed me to attach VS to the game. Here's the exception information (removed the file paths):
Code: Select all
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
   bei Dwarves.Game1.SoundSystem_DetermineWaterLavaDistance() in Game1_SoundSystem.cs:Zeile 370.
   bei Dwarves.Game1.UpdateSoundSystem() in Game1_SoundSystem.cs:Zeile 213.
   bei Dwarves.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in Game1.cs:Zeile 786.
   bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
   bei Dwarves.Program.Main(String[] args) in Program.cs:Zeile 12.

You probably should setup the unhandled exception handler as first thing you do in Program:Main to display a WinForm with a RichEditControl so people can copy/paste the error and stack trace, for example. Once you started up XNA you still can replace it by a better one. Just saying, cause the standard windows error dialog won't help you in most cases. (Registering with microsoft to see the error reports they got sent about your game requires a kinda expensive VeriSign certificate.)
Zarat

Return to Bug Reports