Zoom to Danger

If you have an idea regarding improvements to the game, post it here! Note that massive ideas, like "can't you add vertical digging", are less likely to be implemented. :)

Zoom to Danger

Postby CLeRIK » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Hello! Great game! I have some problems of registering all dangers though, when dwarfs are digging att different places. For instance if lava and water is released at the same time, several water leaks or similar.

First of all I think that the indication that we get now, with the icon pointing to the place, is to small. It would be great if the icon could be bigger, because I usually have to search along the edges of the screen "Where in the name of my beard is that bloody icon?". So if you do not like my suggestion below, please consider this one.

My suggestion is to collect all ongoing dangers (or at least lava and water that is not stopped by walls) as icons that is always visible. Then by clicking on these icons the camera moves to the place where the danger is. Perhaps the panic and disorientation is part of the game though.
CLeRIK

Re: Zoom to Danger

Postby T-Dawg » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi!

I'm glad you like the game, and I'm also very impressed by your high scores! :D

Your suggestion (about a list of active dangers) has actually been up to discussion, and with your input it's pretty likely we'll add it, at least for the Easy and Normal modes!

I think you have a point about the current danger indicator as well. It did not occur to us when we were devloping on smaller screens, but when we put it up on a 24" monitor at GGA, I absolutely agree the indicator suddenly seemed very tiny! A trick to balance this might be to scale the arrow depending on resolution (so it becomes bigger at higher resolutions). Also, we'll probably add some sort of animation for it (such as a pulse when it appears, luring the player's eyes to it).

Again, thanks for your input! It's really valuable to have people taking a look with a fresh pair of eyes! If you have any further suggestions, don't hesitate to post them here! :)

/ Teddy
T-Dawg
Site Admin

Postby Parthon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Have the bubbles flash, or perhaps stay around a lot longer.

Perhaps also click on them to zoom to the location, but that might make it too easy. But if the player is going to scroll there anyways? I dunno. That's really a design decision. ;)
Parthon

Postby Jakkar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:40 am

Click-to-zoom or an 'alert' hotkey that cycles through recent 'danger zones' would be helpful. It's not a question of difficulty, so much as whether or not the player finds it fun to madly scrape their mouse along to move the camera half a mile to the northwest.

The game is painfully entertaining, despite being incomplete - so remove what isn't so fun: don't make us scroll around madly.

On that note, what are your thoughts on the game having a minimap to aid in navigation?
Jakkar

Postby Parthon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 am

A minimap would be great. Even if it just said where your miners were and the dangers, not the landscape, it would make it much easier.
Parthon

Postby Robin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:11 pm

We have implemented a better warning system that blinks and if you klick on the blinking warning you are teleported to the danger. Also good to know is that "enter" takes you to the latest danger so "space" then enter is a good combination of securing your slef from losing :)
Robin

Return to Suggestions